Former deputy prime minister Tun Musa Hitam (pic) today clarified the events leading to his revelation that Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad was in Kuala Lumpur during the bloody Memali incident in the mid-1980s.
Musa said he assumed responsibility for the incident on November 19, 1985, despite the fact that he was not the acting prime minister then.
“I assume full responsibility for the event,” Musa said in a statement today.
“On the day of the Memali incident, Dr Mahathir was in Kuala Lumpur and I was not the acting prime minister,” he said.
Musa had revealed in a forum in Kota Baru last week that Dr Mahathir was in Malaysia when police forces killed Ibrahim Libya and his followers in a clash.
The Memali incident occurred at a remote village in Baling, Kedah, in November 1985.
A team of policemen laid siege to the village of about 400 people and where the late Ibrahim Mahmud, also known as Ibrahim Libya had been running a religious school.
The incident resulted in 14 civilian deaths and two police deaths.